Harold Ickes Homes2326 S. Dearborn Street, Chicago IL 60616
Vacated property located on the city's near south side
Find staff at this property
Find images of this property
The Harold Ickes Homes is named after Harold L. Ickes, who was Secretary of the Interior during President Franklin D. Roosevelt's administration. The development opened in 1955 and was designed by the prominent Chicago-based architectural firm Skidmore, Owings & Merrill.
Originally an 11-building complex that once housed more than 1,000 families, Ickes’ population dropped dramatically by the early 2000s, as crime and maintenance challenges increased. Due to safety and security concerns, CHA began closing the development in 2007, with the last families choosing to relocate in April 2010.
A working group - composed of residents, City of Chicago officials, community leaders and other stakeholders - will meet regularly to determine the future of the site.
CHA is currently not leasing any units at this site.