The Chicago Housing Authority

Earn a College Degree at Little or No Cost

Are you a CHA public housing resident or a Housing Choice Voucher participant interested in obtaining a degree or certificate from City Colleges of Chicago—at low or no cost? If so, the new CHA and CCC partnership can help you build the career you want to advance your life.

Get started today!

  • Meet with your Family Works provider to discuss career and education options.
  • Attend a City Colleges Information Session
  • Work with a City Colleges Advisor to select your educational program

Partnership for Growth

All qualifying adults receiving a housing subsidy from CHA, including Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) households, can participate in CHA’s agreement with the City Colleges of Chicago.

This means that residents can attend a wide variety of associate degree, non-credit certificate, and adult education (GED) programs at any of the City Colleges of Chicago campuses.  Eligible expenses include tuition, required books and/or uniforms, and certification/licensing exams.

A team of CCC staff will provide residents with assistance in the enrollment process, academic advisement and referrals for career-coaching when appropriate.  The CCC Team conducts weekly information sessions to provide a detailed explanation of the requirements for tuition assistance through this partnership.

Eligibility Requirements

The basic eligibility requirements include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • The public housing resident/HCV tenant must be lease compliant;
  • The public housing resident/HCV tenant must attend an Information Session prior to beginning the enrollment process;
  • The public housing resident/HCV tenant must have no outstanding debt to CCC at the time of enrollment, this agreement does not pay for any existing debt owed to CCC;
  • The public housing resident/HCV tenant, if currently enrolled, must be in good academic standing with CCC;
  • If the public housing resident/HCV tenant has received a notice of termination, they are ineligible to register through this program;
  • If the selected program accepts financial aid, the student must apply for, and be eligible to receive, federal financial aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA); and
  • Any non-loan financial aid received (grants, scholarships), will be applied to the cost of tuition first; CHA will pay any remaining tuition and/or eligible expenses up-to $4,000 per year (please note we will not retroactively pay for courses previously completed or in which the student is currently enrolled).

Contact Information

If you are interested in learning more about this great opportunity, please RSVP to an informational session by calling the CHA/CCC information line at 312-553-2830.  Resources for 2014 tuition assistance are limited, so we hope you register as soon as possible to take advantage of this great opportunity.