Director of Property Rental AssistanceGrade: 70
Position Number: EDRPB-AMD741
Minimum Salary: Commensurate with experience
DESCRIPTIONThe Director of Property Rental Assistance (PRA) will plan, develop, organize and implement the Authority’s efforts to expand long-term affordable housing opportunities in Chicago through the use of Property Rental Assistance.
Reporting to the Senior Vice-President, the Director will manage a competitive solicitation process for the award of the project-based assistance to developer/owners that meet the Authority’s goals for expanding housing opportunities.
The Director will also research methods and develop requirement, procedures and techniques to enter project-based voucher contracts; manage developer/owner selection processes and monitor the operations of approved projects to ensure consistency with the Authority’s mission.
Summary of Primary AccountabilitiesExamples of responsibilities of this position may include, but are not limited to:
• Develop and implement policies and procedures for CHA’s Property Rental Assistance Program to foster innovation and flexibility and to meet local housing needs.
• Communicates the benefits of the PRA program and collaborates with local stakeholders to ensure the success of the program. Stakeholders include non-profit and for profit developers, other CHA staff, local community development staff, other community agencies, advocates for special populations, resident advisory boards, etc.
• Makes recommendations in consultation with PRA stakeholders for PRA policies, including developer/owner selection to be included in the Administrative Plan.
• Proposes criteria and document basis for implementing projects within parameters of HUD rules and CHA’s Moving To Work Agreement.
• Proposes criteria and document basis for selecting projects that include supportive services and provides guidance on tenant selection preferences.
• Coordinates, reviews, reconciles and monitors required subsidy layering and environmental impact reviews for proposed PRA developments to ensure HUD requirements and project timelines are met; ensures that HUD waivers are obtained and documented as needed.
• Prepares program progress reports and forecasts annual program goals.
• Develops and implements procedures for reporting, monitoring and evaluating the contractor’s performance to ensure the contractual obligations to CHA and HUD are fulfilled.
• Ensures that “Agreements to Enter into a Housing Assistance Payment Contracts” (AHAPs) and Housing Assistance Payments Contracts (HAPs) are executed timely.
• Develops and implements monitoring and tracking techniques for all phases of approved PRA projects, including accurate and up-to-date counts of units covered by AHAP and HAP Contracts.
• Periodically monitors performance of projects with PRAs to ensure ongoing compliance with program rules, to identify and resolve issues related to the PRA contract, and to provide conditions for contract renewals. This may include monitoring of the work by HCV contractors in the administration of the program.
• Reviews PRA project lease-up, vacancy and turnover rates to identify and recommend basis for policy changes, if necessary.
• Serves as a liaison among HUD, the contractors and CHA to ensure that the PRA Program operations are in accordance with established regulations.
REQUIREMENTSThis position requires a Master’s Degree in Public Administration, Business Administration, Urban Studies, City & Regional Planning, Finance, Economics, Law or a related field. A minimum of two years working experience with HUD’s Project-Based Voucher regulations or affordable housing development financing (e.g. Low Income Tax Credits, HOME, CDBG, tax-exempt bonds, tax increment financing. In addition, five years of increasingly responsible experience in real estate development or administration of a federally subsidized housing program is desired.
Real Estate License and continuing education in HUD regulations governing Section 8 regulations is preferred. The successful candidate must demonstrate strong analytical, organizational and time-management skills and possess effective verbal and written communication skills. Computer literacy is also required.