Over 13,000 rental housing providers (landlords, property owners and property managers) are growing their businesses and building stronger communities by leasing their apartments, condos, and/or single-family homes with the Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program — formerly known as Section 8. HCV property owners enjoy a number of benefits, including:
- Guaranteed rent
- Low turnover
- Incentive payments (for new property owners leasing in Mobility Areas)
- Vacancy payments (for existing HQS compliant units)
- Property tax savings (for units in low-poverty census tracts)
Want to join them? Learn everything you need to know about renting to HCV Program participant families during the property owner briefing.
Watch the Property Owner Briefing On-Demand
During this 40-minute session, we review what you need to know to succeed as a new HCV property owner, including:
- What to do when a HCV participant family is interested in your unit
- What to do when you buy a property with existing HCV participant tenants
- How to market your vacancies to HCV participant families
- How CHA determines rental rates
- How to pass your Housing Quality Standards (HQS) inspection
- How to request a rent increase
- How to contact CHA with requests, concerns and questions
- Recent updates to HCV Program policies and procedures
- And more!
If you have briefing-related questions, or want to request a 1:1 consultation, please email the HCV Owner Outreach team at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance (también ofrecemos estos servicios en español).
HCV Account-Related Assistance
Contact the HCV Owner Services Department via email at email@example.com or click here to schedule an in-person appointment at the Central Office (60 E. Van Buren, 9th Floor, Chicago, IL 60605). Please include your vendor number or the tenant's voucher number in any communication.
CHA also offers live and on-demand webinars for HCV property owners! These topic-specific sessions dive into everything you need to know (but might not know to ask) about CHA's HCV Program, as well as industry best practices for housing providers in Chicago. See the full schedule.