CHOOSE TO OWN HOMEOWNERSHIP PROGRAM (CTO)
CHA’s Choose to Own Homeownership Program (CTO) allows qualified Public Housing and Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) families to use their housing subsidy to buy a home and receive monthly assistance with a portion of their mortgage. In addition to financial assistance toward the mortgage payment, the CTO program provides referrals to pre- and post-purchase homebuyer education, credit counseling, and other services to help families navigate the home buying process and increase their chances of success and self-sufficiency.
Most CTO families utilize the voucher to pay a portion of their mortgage – the same way families use a voucher to pay a portion of their rent. CHA uses the Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) to help families pay a portion of their monthly mortgage payment for up to 15 years (up to 30 years for head of households who are elderly or disabled). Other families are able to take on the full mortgage payment and don’t require financial assistance from the CHA. These families are able to transition directly out of subsidized housing.
Families can only purchase a single family home, townhome, or condominium anywhere in the City of Chicago.
Since 2002, CTO participants have purchased 589 homes in the City of Chicago.
The CTO program combines knowledgeable staff, strong community partnerships, and industry professionals to give you a comprehensive support network that guides you through your path of homeownership.
- Latin United Community Housing Association (LUCHA)
- Neighborhood Housing Services of Chicago
- Spanish Coalition for Housing
- LUCHA Law Project
CHOOSE TO OWN IN THE THE NEWS
To Qualify for CTO, you must:
- Income: Meet income and employment requirements (does not apply to head of households who are senior and disabled)
- Credit: Be credit worthy with scores of 640 or more and good credit history
- Savings/Down Payment: Have $3,000 in savings with capability of continuing to save ($2,000 for HOH senior and disabled families)
- Maintenance Reserve: Have $1,000 in personal savings prior to closing that will serve as a financial safety net for unexpected home repairs.
- Compliant with your CHA development or your HCV Landlord
If you are interested in learning more about the CTO program or want to see if you qualify, attendance to a CTO Information Session Workshop is required.
CHA HCV West Office – 1852 S. Albany Ave
- Wednesday 7/10/2019 9-10am
- Tuesday 8/13/2019 3:30-4:30pm
- Wednesday 9/18/2019 9-10am
- Wednesday 9/25/2019 9-10am
CHA HCV South Office – 10 W. 35th St, 5th Floor
- Monday 7/29/2019 3-4pm
- Monday 8/26/2019 10-11am
- Monday 9/9/2019 2:30-3:30pm
Charles Hayes Family Investment Center – 4859 S. Wabash Ave.
- Tuesday 8/6/2019 9-10am
- Tuesday 9/3/2019 3-4pm
Spanish Coalition for Housing – 1922 N. Pulaski Rd
- Tuesday 8/20/2019 9-10am
LUCHA – 1152 N. Christiana Ave
- Wednesday 7/17/2019 3-4pm
Southwest Organizing Project (SWOP) – 2558 W. 63rd St
- Friday 7/26/2019 9-10am