Choose To Own Homeownership Program (CTO)
CHA’s Choose to Own (CTO) Homeownership Program gives Participants the option to own a home within the city of Chicago. The CTO Homeownership Program combines knowledgeable staff and strong community partnerships to give you a comprehensive support network that guides you along your path to homeownership. CHA uses the Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) to help those families participating in the CTO Homeownership Program pay a portion of their monthly mortgage for up to 15 years (up to 30 years for the elderly or people with disabilities).
The CTO Homeownership Program provides the following services to support you through the home-buying process:
- Pre- and post-purchase counseling to help you navigate the home-buying process
- Referrals to lenders
- Pro bono (free or reduced fee) lawyers to help with the closing and post-purchase legal issues
- Estate planning features
To qualify for the CTO Homeownership Program, you must:
- Have a gross annual income equal to 50% of Area Median Income (AMI) or greater based on family size*
- Have a good credit history, and
- Maintain a personal savings that can be used toward a down payment
Enrollment in CTO
Interested public housing residents or HCV participants should attend a CTO orientation session to find out more about the program and steps to achieving homeownership. Refer to the Orientation Calendar for upcoming sessions. Interested families can also find out more about the program by contacting the HCV Call Center at 312-935-2600.
*Seniors and persons with disabilities may be exempt from the minimum income requirement and may be eligible for an additional term of mortgage assistance.
CTO Income Requirements Flyer