Language Assistance



2019 Translation & Interpretation Services Poster


In accordance with federal, state and local law, CHA will make reasonable efforts to provide language assistance to ensure meaningful access to CHA's programs and activities, for Limited English Proficiency (LEP) persons.

Per HUD, a LEP individual is someone who does not speak English as their primary language, by virtue of their national origin, and who have limited ability to speak, read, write or understand English. 

CHA will provide meaningful language access through free language assistance while minimizing undue financial burden to the agency. To comply with these guidelines, CHA will:

  • Provide LEP services based on a four-factor analysis
  • Provide appropriate language assistance (translations and/or interpretations), based on the size of the language group.
  • Develop, implement and enforce CHA’s Language Access Policy (see policy).

To learn more see CHA’s Language Access Plan at a Glance and 2019 Language Access Plan Progress Report or contact CHA’s Office of Diversity at




If a person believes that a federally assisted, HUD  program recipient (i.e. CHA), is not taking reasonable steps to ensure meaningful service and/or program access to LEP persons, that individual may file a complaint with:

Office of Diversity and Inclusion at

CHA’s Housing Rights and Nondiscrimination Department - For contact information go to the CHA website or call at (312) 913-7062.

HUD's local Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity (FHEO) - For contact information of your local HUD office, go to the HUD website or call the toll free Housing Discrimination Hotline  at 800-669-9777 (voice) or 800 927-9275 (TTY). 

Language Assistance FAQ

For persons who, as a result of national origin, do not speak English as their primary language and who have limited ability to speak, read, write, or understand. For purposes of Title VI and the LEP guidance, persons may be entitled to language assistance with respect to a particular CHA service or encounter.

Language assistance that CHA may provide to LEP persons includes, but is not limited to:

  • Oral interpretation services
  • Bilingual staff
  • Telephonic interpretation line
  • Written translation services

A plan that identifies the needs of the LEP population that CHA serves. Some elements of CHA’s plan include but are not limited to:

  • Identifying LEP person who need language assistance
  • Identifying the points of contact CHA and staff may have with LEP persons
  • Training staff
  • Determining which documents and informational materials are vital

A policy approved by CHA’s Board of Commissioners on April 212015, which outlines CHA’s responsibilities to appropriately serve LEP persons and maintain compliance with HUD regulations.

CHA staff designated to oversee the creation and implementation of department-specific internal language procedures. When applicable, the Language Access Liaisons are also responsible for collecting language data for their department and monitoring compliance. For general inquiries e-mail CHA’s Language Assistance inbox at

By reporting it to CHA’s Housing Rights and Nondiscrimination department. For contact information visit CHA’s website at or HUD local Office; of FHEO. For contact information call the housing discrimination toll free hotline at 800-669-9777.