Language Assistance



We offer free interpretation and translation services for individuals with a Limited English Proficiency.  If you have a CHA question, please let us know by downloading and filling out the form here and email to A CHA representative an and interpreter will call you back for follow-up and resolution.  

2019 Translation & Interpretation Services Poster


In accordance with federal, state and local law, CHA will make reasonable efforts to provide language assistance to ensure meaningful access for Limited English Proficiency (LEP) persons to CHA's programs and activities.

Per HUD, a LEP individual is someone who as a result of national origin, does not speak English as their primary language and who have limited ability to speak, read, write or understand English. 

CHA will provide meaningful language access through free language assistance while not imposing undue financial burden to the agency. To comply with these guidelines, CHA will:

  • Provide LEP services based on a four-factor analysis
  • Based on the size of the language group, provide appropriate language assistance (translations and/or interpretations)
  • Develop, implement and enforce CHA’s Language Access Policy (see policy).

To learn more see CHA’s Language Access Plan at a Glance and 2018 CHA’s Language Access Plan Compliance Report or contact CHA’s Office of Diversity at




If a person believes that a HUD federally assisted recipient (i.e. CHA) is not taking reasonable steps to ensure meaningful access to LEP persons, that individual may file a complaint with:

Office of Diversity and Inclusion at

CHA’s Housing Rights and Nondiscrimination Department.  For contact information go to the CHA website or call at (312) 913-7062.

HUD's local Office of FHEO. For contact information of the local HUD office, go to the HUD website or call the housing discrimination toll free hotline at 800-669-9777 (voice) or 800 927-9275 (TTY). 


Language Assistance FAQ

For persons who, as a result of national origin, do not speak English as their primary language and who have limited ability to speak, read, write, or understand. For purposes of Title VI and the LEP guidance, persons may be entitled to language assistance with respect to a particular CHA service or encounter.

Language assistance that CHA may provide to LEP persons includes, but is not limited to:

  • Oral interpretation services
  • Bilingual staff
  • Telephonic interpretation line
  • Written translation services

A plan that identifies the needs of the LEP population that CHA serves. Some elements of CHA’s plan include but are not limited to:

  • Identifying LEP person who need language assistance
  • Identifying the points of contact CHA and staff may have with LEP persons
  • Training staff
  • Determining which documents and informational materials are vital

A policy approved by CHA’s Board of Commissioners on April 212015, which outlines CHA’s responsibilities to appropriately serve LEP persons and maintain compliance with HUD regulations.

CHA staff designated to oversee the creation and implementation of department-specific internal language procedures. When applicable, the Language Access Liaisons are also responsible for collecting language data for their department and monitoring compliance. For general inquiries e-mail CHA’s Language Assistance inbox at

By reporting it to CHA’s Housing Rights and Nondiscrimination department. For contact information visit CHA’s website at or HUD local Office; of FHEO. For contact information call the housing discrimination toll free hotline at 800-669-9777.

Reports and Language Access Plans

Can't find what you are looking for?

Ask a question about Language Access Plan.