WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT CHANGES IN HEALTH CARE
Health Care Reform: The Affordable Care Act
- Now, everyone is required to have health insurance.
- Affordable options are available through Medicaid or through private plans on the Health Insurance Marketplace.
- Many preventive care services are now available at no cost as part of a health insurance plan.
Sign up for Health Insurance
Under 65? Call 866-311-1119 or go to GetCoveredIllinois.gov/get-help to find in-person help to sign up for a health insurance plan for yourself and your family.
If you are a person with a disability or are over age 65, SHIP counselors are available to provide in-person assistance in navigating your health coverage options. To get in-person help, call 1-800-252-8966.
When can I sign up? Open Enrollment Periods 2016 and 2017 insurance coverage
Explore your health coverage options and get answers to your questions at
- Get Covered Illinois
- Consumer Reports' Health Law Helper
- Medicaid- You can sign up at any time.
- All Kids- You can also sign up for All Kids, a health insurance program for children, at any time.
- Marketplace- Open enrollment is from November 1, 2016-January 31, 2017.
- Medicare drug plans and private plans- Open enrollment is from October 15-December 7, 2016.
Keep your Health Insurance Coverage
Marketplace Renewals happen every year. If you already have health coverage through the health insurance marketplace, now is the time to look over your other options and see if your current plan is still the right plan for you. Visit healthcare.gov to explore options.
Medicaid Redeterminations also happen every year. They review eligibility for Medicaid, All Kids, SNAP or cash benefits. If you get a letter in the mail, make sure you respond with all of the requested information so that you can keep your health coverage. Make sure you get important notices by keeping your address and other information updated.
For more information on Health Care Reform visit Illinois Health Matters.